Yields: 4 serving(s) Prep Time: 20 mins Total Time: 8 hrs 40 mins
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground red Szechuan peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp. ground green Szechuan peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 1/2 lb. dark meat turkey, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
For the stir-fry
- 3 tbsp. peanut oil, divided
- 8 to 12 dried red chilis
- 1 tbsp. ground red Szechuan peppercorn
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2″ ginger, thinly slivered
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- Roasted pumpkin seeds or peanuts, for garnish
- Marinate the meat: In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce and vinegar with spices. Add turkey and toss until evenly coated. Sprinkle in cornstarch and toss to coat. Cover and let rest overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cook the meat: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add in chilis, peppercorn, garlic, ginger, and celery and stir until garlic is lightly golden. Transfer mixture to a plate and set aside.
- To the skillet, add half the turkey. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat develops a golden crust, about 6 minutes. Transfer to the plate with celery, then add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Repeat with the remaining turkey.
- Return all the turkey and celery mixture to the skillet and stir until well-combined and heated through.
- Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds or peanuts before serving.