From Simple Recipes
- Salt, to taste (you will need more salt than you expect)
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- 8 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups leftover cooked turkey meat, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup leftover turkey gravy (or chicken or turkey stock)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry thyme (important, do not omit)
- 1 cup sour cream at room temperature (can substitute plain, full-fat yogurt)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cook the noodles: Put a pot of salted water on to boil and cook the noodles according to package directions.
- Sauté the mushrooms: Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and dry sauté them (cook them without oil), shaking the pan frequently so they don’t stick, for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mushrooms release their water and begin to brown. How to Cook Mushrooms READ MORE:
- Cook the onions in butter: Add the butter and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes, until the onions begin to brown. Sprinkle salt over everything.
- Add the turkey and spices: Add the turkey meat and gravy and stir to combine. Cook for a minute or two, and sprinkle on the thyme, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the sour cream: Turn off the heat and add the sour cream. You may want to add a few tablespoons of water to thin the sauce. Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let the sauce come to a simmer or boil or it may curdle! Adjust the seasonings to your taste. In particular, depending on how salty your gravy was, you may need to add salt. More than you think. Serve immediately over egg noodles.