Hippo Hippo Hurray – today we have an example of one of our cute handmade birthday cards from our designer Annie. Though the extra real estate on a slimline card is great for filling with little stamped images or a few more die-cuts, we also found that it’s a fun way to extend your sentiments. This Hippo stamp set has several little phrases that you can easily piece together into a larger greeting, so Annie decided to place each part inside of some cute windows cut with some of our new slimline dies. We love how she used the windows so they act as little speech bubbles! Smart!
Follow along with Annie below and be inspired by this hippo-tastic birthday creation!
COLORING THE IMAGES
- Start by stamping the images from the Hippo stamp set onto Bristol Smooth Paper using Versafine Clair Nocturne Ink.
- Color the images using Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens. Colors used are:
- Pinks: Dark Pink, Peach Pink, Sugared Almond Pink
- Purples: Violet, Light Violet, Lilac
- Teals: Persian Green, Turquoise Green, Blender
- Yellows: Bright Yellow, Yellow, Pale Yellow
- Blues: Persian Blue, Shadow Mauve
- Grays: Gray, Light Gray, Blender
- Die cut the images out using the coordinating dies.
CREATING THE SLIMLINE CARD BACKGROUND
- Die cut a piece of white cardstock using the Slimline Scallop With Holes Die to create the border and the Slimline Inside Scallop With Teardrop Die to cut the windows.
- You can run these dies through separately or at the same time depending on your diecutting machine and personal preference (She cut both at the same time).
- Trim a piece of aqua cardstock to 3.25″ x 8.25″.
- Placing the slimline die cut background over top for proper positioning, stamp sentiments from the Hippo stamp set into each window on the aqua cardstock with Versafine Clair Nocturne Ink.
- Adhere the stamped aqua panel to the center of a side-folding slimline-sized white card base (measuring 3.5″ x 8.5″ when folded) with tape runner.
- Pop the slimline die cut background up on top with foam adhesive.
- Add the stamped and colored images around each window using foam adhesive.
- Adhere a few clear sparkling sequins around the images using strong liquid glue.
HERE ARE THE SUPPLIES YOU WILL WANT TO MAKE THESE CUTE HANDMADE BIRTHDAY CARDS:
So adorable! This could be sent to an adult or a child, its THAT much fun! We hope you enjoy seeing cute handmade birthday cards like this and seeing them as SLIMLINE cards gets you even more excited! We are always so thankful when we make our way to your crafting table! Be sure to check us out on Instagram or visit tour Facebook Fan Group for tons of inspiration! Stay Crafty!